Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day One - Carson City, NV

Wow.

That was absolutely amazing.

I totally remember now why I like this kind of thing. I got up at about 6:30 and by the time everyone was assembled we were running just a little bit late. By the time we were able to get going finally, it was a little past 8. Duncan Hunter and crew were already there.

I seriously wonder what kind of suits these guys wear…and where they buy’em. They are so nice! Hunter looked awesome and he was already talking with people.

When we got all the trucks and vehicles in, there were people showing up in a steady stream. It was well before 9 am. Immediately Ryan jumps to work on setting up the podium and the audio equipment. I was running around like crazy. This group from Carson City was there to sell cookies, doughnuts, and drinks to raise money for the troops. I forget the name of them… Oh wait it’s in this picture let me look…

Operation: First Response.

Nice people but they had a lot of stuff and they needed help setting it up. So Joe basically loans me out... “Oh yes sure, we’ll help you…DANNY! Help these people set up!”

Thanks Joe. It was cool though, they had a nice canopy in the shade it was very pleasant and everyone lent a hand setting everything up.

By this time there were already people showing up to protest US and I could already see small groups of people shooting remarks back and forth. Lovely. I began to think this was going to get ugly. Luckily thought I noticed at least 3 local sheriff’s deputies milling around and I stopped and thanked them for coming by to make sure order was preserved. I then busied myself bringing out shirts and such, setting up our table with all our goodies and the sheet for people to sign. It seemed like we took our time getting the show on the road, and I think that was because we set up the audio equipment way out in the field where there were no trees…just hot sun. I could tell people were reluctant to come out from under the great shade they were enjoying on the other side of the park.

But then Ryan hit the play button and Diana took up her microphone and opened into the most beautiful rendition of the star spangled banner you have ever heard. People took note and began moving towards the area. I was running around passing flags out to people and encouraging people to sign the sheet. I didn’t know where anyone else was.

Ryan was up front on the audio equipment.

I could not find Joe or Sal, I am sure they were off somewhere talking to press or directing our people what to do and where to be.
Mary I did not see anywhere. I assume that’s because she never stopped moving. Walking around…or running shall I say, and taking loads and loads of pictures.

I just realized that I am being very detailed about this rally and how it works. And there’s 26 of them left. Which means that by the time we get to San Antonio, you guys are going to know exactly how everything works, and it’s going to get very old with me giving every little detail about it. Well tough. I’m gonna do it anyways!

So Melanie and Buzz introduced and welcomed everyone to the rally and then I think Melanie spoke and then Buzz talked about his experience in the Clinton Administration and why the prospect of another one is so frightening.

I just remember one thing from Buzz’s interview with that extreme leftist who thinks he “is the military” Jon Soltz. They were discussing Hillary and Buzz recalled that one of the first things she tried to do in her husband’s administration was to ban military uniforms in the White House. What on earth was the point of that? I’ll never understand that woman.
Anyways when Buzz was finished, Melanie introduced Debbie Lee who gave her son’s story again. I can’t believe how dedicated that man was. He put himself in the line of fire three times in one day to defend his brothers in arms as well as the Iraqi civilians whom it was his mission to train and protect. He worked with and helped train the new Iraqi army which has burgeoned to great proportions since Debbie’s Son and dedicated Special Forces like him began their work in Iraq.

Today Iraq has more than 200,000 soldiers to defend itself with, and that number is growing every day. These men are receiving training from the finest, most elite, professional military organization in the history –to date. To me, that is nothing but reassuring that in the coming months or years – however long it takes, it is worth the investment – the Iraqi Army will be prepared to defend it’s city streets with less and less support from American forces.

After Debbie Lee talked about her son’s story and how he was KIA, Deborah Johns took the stage and told her son’s story, that he has served four tours in the military and volunteered for deployment in Iraq THREE TIMES. What bravery. What stalwart commitment to a cause which one believes in. This boy reminds me of what a young Winston Churchill must have been like. And Deborah has also served four tours of duty, as she has been on every MAF caravan. That’s four tours of duty educating people on the difference between the mass media and the defeatism of liberal legislators in stark contrast to the reality on the ground in Iraq. That reality being, that we are winning the war, stopping Al Queda, and spreading democracy and liberty to the hungry souls of Iraqis who have spent decades under oppression. Deborah’s speech was indeed very moving.


Duncan Hunter spoke next, and there were massive number of people there! Duncan was an amazing speaker. I have never personally seen him address a crowd before, nor had I met the gentleman before today, but I must say I was very, VERY impressed. The most touching thing about Congressman Hunter’s speech was a story he reiterated to us from the wisdom of one of history’s greatest leaders: President Ronald Reagan. According to Duncan, Reagan had once spoken of a soldier who was infantry in Vietnam and was KIA. When his buddies found his body they discovered something they did not know before; he had kept a diary. When reviewing the man’s last entry they were particularly moved by one short passage. I do not have a direct quotation, but it basically said that despite the horrors of that war, despite the mud, the setbacks, and the vicious cycle of advance, retreat, taking and giving ground nightly, despite the seemingly endless assault of nightly shelling and mortar fire, this soldier was still deeply committed to his cause. He wrote that I “must fight this war as though the future of the whole United States of America depended on me and me alone.” That was the nature of his resolve.


Hearing that from Congressman Hunter ALMOST made me tear up in the eyes. How could one man, knowing that his death could come at any time or any day, and that his commanders would likely only see him as another KIA on the daily list of KIAs. Knowing full well that the public at home would likely spit on him in thank for all his efforts and risks. And yet he was still so committed to his mission and he took it so seriously that we would defend it as if the fate of the nation relied on his performance alone. That is a lot of weight to put on your shoulders, and he was willing to die for it. And in the end he made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms. Would anyone doubt that he did it with nothing but love and compassion in his heart?

That is the nature of our soldiers today fighting in Iraq. The atrocities we see the media talking about are the exception to the rule and I think it’s totally unfair that our fine soldiers, young men and women cut from the same cloth as that magnificent soldier Congressman Hunter talked about, are being characterized the same way John Kerry characterized his fellow soldiers as brute thugs, rapists, and murderers.

Okay enough ranting from me. Congressman Hunter got an uproarious cheer and several locals noted to me that they were impressed with the numbers of people who showed up and their enthusiasm.

People were very, very enthusiastic in fact; they were giving donations, handing in notes, and taking CDs, bumper stickers, magnets, T-shirts, and dozens of Buzz’s books. I think we gave out almost two full boxes of Buzz’s books and he was autographing them left and right. Everyone was VERY, VERY generous. They were donating cash and writing checks left and right and often donated much more than the cost to produce all the books and t-shirts they were taking home. I also wanted to note that there was another group there Soldier’s Angels and there was a REALLY cute little girl in a green shirt walking around with her friend. Really nice people...if you’re reading this...call me!

Now we are on our way to Sacramento for another rally. It’s very exhilarating and even though we’re REALLY late (heavy traffic on the 80) we are excited to do it again.
I am reminded of why I wanted to get back into politics and talking with people about issues that matter to them. I don’t know how many people I talked to today that wished me luck, and ACTUALLY THANKED ME...YES ME for what I was doing. I felt compelled to thank THEM for coming out and supporting our troops. But these people were gracious enough and actually thankful that Move America Forward is here to spread the good word.
The GOOD WORD.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT REVIEW DANNY!

It was such an incredible day! The number of people who showed up to support our troops was inspiring! You did a fine job of writing about the whole event.

I want to make sure that you are aware of the audio coverage that was put up on Freedom Fighter Radio thanks to Craig Keller. The entire event was captured and put up on the internet and will be there permanently. Freedom Fighter Radio When you get to the site, click on Skip Intro. Then scroll down to Past Episodes. You will see the Fight For Victory Tour listed on 9/3/07. The coverage of the event doesn't start until about 13 minutes into the clip.

YES...Congressman Duncan Hunter did an incredible job inspiring the crowd and showing his deep respect for our troops fighting the war against terror. He is a man of integrity.

ENJOY and THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK! I can't wait to hear the other updates!

GO HUNTER '08!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

nice to be here.... thanks for share