Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day One San Francisco

Okay we just left San Francisco and that was an awesome rally! The local radio did a lot to promote the rally, and why wouldn’t it when this is where Melanie has listeners.

When we drove up, we were pretty late. It was my first time ever being in San Francisco and I know I definitely do not want to live here!!! I think I find most of the charming little things about it annoying such as the whole steep grades up and down everywhere, and those houses built on an uneven foundation. I mean don’t get me wrong, I think those details are charming as well, but I just don’t like them from a perspective of living there.

Amazingly though…I saw a several heterosexual couples walking around. Very reassuring.

When we reached Nancy Pelosi’s office in downtown San Francisco I was absolutely amazed at how many people turned out and they were just waiting for us. They were also very eager to greet us. As we arrived they began cheering and waving flags with such fervor and enthusiasm that it immediately lifted my heart and reinvigorated my body. I was immediately energized to jump out the vehicle and literally run with a table in my hands ( a heavy one ) to the front of Pelosi’s office to set up quickly. Ryan was equally super-human in his performance…given the fact that we all got about three hours of sleep last night! Ryan had the audio up before I even knew what was going on and he was already running tests. Diana started into her introductory song and people were already curiously walking up to the tables and asking about shirts and magnets.

I enlisted the help of one young gentleman who was one of the first to approach the bench. He purchased a small t-shirt and I handed him a big stack of American flags and asked if he would help hand them out to people. Usually I have time to do this myself, but because Diana was already singing we had to give people some things to wave right away! He gave many out, but a lot of the people here had their own flags, it seems the conservative Americans in San Francisco always come prepared.

This must be the natural result of a section of people living in a strange alien land, one rife with cultural and sociological quirks that would offend the typical morays of Americans elsewhere. A conservative living here would always have to be on guard, for at any time someone could challenge their views if their ‘cover is blown’ and they find out “Hey, this guy here is a conservative!” Living here you would constantly be forced to reflect on your own views and explain your views to others and make them understand your way of thinking.

That’s probably why the people of San Francisco who ARE conservative are among the most conservative, and who feel the most strongly in what they believe. I would presume that it’s also why the College Republicans at Berkeley are the most hardcore, dedicated group in the Republican Federation of College Republicans. I am sure the College Democrats here are very strong, but that strength would lie in numbers whereas the members of the College Republicans – whom we assume are more conservative – are battle hardened and the most effective in articulating their beliefs.

I recall the story of the College Democrats in the city of Austin, TX where I went to school to get my Bachelor’s. I was very good friends with at least a dozen members of that organization and so I heard all the stories…power struggles, ugly egos, laziness, infighting and a lack of commitment. In short, malaise.

Thank you Jimmy.

The rally went well. The stories are the same and our speakers did a great job, just as they did in every other rally today. This time though, each speaker took particular note that we were in front of The Speaker’s Office. These people wanted Nancy out BAD! Seriously, watch out Nancy. Deborah Johns talked a lot about taking our country back from partisanship and holding our leaders on BOTH sides of the aisle accountable. I can think of several names here. Pelosi, Reid, Barbara Boxer who has said some of the most ridiculous and offensive things I have heard from a politician. I also think about Senators D’Amato and Ron Paul. Some of them supported the war then flopped on it; some have always been against the war. In any case they are lobbying to pull troops out prematurely and in such a way that seriously threatens our national security, not to mention abandoning the Iraqi people, almost defenseless, into the waiting jaws of vicious civil war and oppressive theocracy. In my opinion, and this is a personal one, they all deserve to lose their offices.

We had to wrap up in San Fran very quickly because someone got word over the phone that the Modesto location had people and press waiting around for us already.

So I would call San Francisco an absolute success, with one caveat, that there were no cameras or reporters around. This is a shame because it was a great rally and is likely something that happens only rarely in a place like San Francisco.

I’m on the road with Ryan again. I swear this guys going to kill me on this trip. But with all the traffic I was noticing in the City by the Bay, I can see why he drives so crazy. You have to zip in and out of everything and around everyone. Anyways, we’re debating about the pros and cons of the Judicial Branch being in conflict with the Executive on a policy decision. Ryan is convinced that the executive should always enforce and uphold a decision. I am tempted to say that depending on the situation it is more constitutional for a President to protect the people, national security or the common good in a situation where a Supreme Court decision is potentially harmful or that it’s negative consequences are more of a detriment than it is unconstitutional for a President to refuse to uphold a supreme court decision. It seems we both agree that this is why the Legislature is around for balancing and that history shows the Legislature almost always drops the ball when it would be advantageous to intervene.

Anyways we are now going to eat or something. They’re changing things up. Not sure why. Will get back to y’all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

[url=http://kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/logo.png[/img][/url]

מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] גדולים אנו מספקים שירותי אירוח מגוונים גם יש במקום שירות חדרים הכולל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]סעודות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם...

לפרטים אנא לפנות לאתר האינטרנט שלנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]

Anonymous said...

Hello


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is like having a FREE advance ebay to sell your new or used products.


http://www.BuySellDirect.net is 100% FREE

Anonymous said...

Thankfully, our truck is equipped with extra radiators for towing our camping trailer so it didn't overheat, but it had a huge loss of power. Once, in the year 1938 a magnetic storm emerged in the Polar Regions and its terrific brilliance was seen right up to Africa and Crimea. You may want to use a carpenter's square to verify this.


Look into my homepage :: http://mswebmedia.de